Thursday, September 15, 2011

Wrong Leap

My sister's batch is giving a fresher's party to the new admissions in their college.
Since I have always boasted of my extra curricular stints, my sister, called me up and asked me to guide her on a few events.
It's been 4 years that I am out of college and I haven't done anything creative in a while.

She asked "Tell me a good name for the fresher's event"

I began with "Jhankaar, Josh, Crescendo, Chrysalis"

She said, "They are all taken by the other college for their events. We cannot repeat the names"

So I did the age old trick of translating pretty English words into Latin and Greek to get some attractive names.
I ended up with "Amplexus" which meant "Embrace".

So I thought what can be more apt than an Embrace for the freshers. That is how we welcome our new friends. So I justified and suggested the name and my sister and her college mates really liked it.
I was glad I could use my brains creatively and be of some help to these college students.
So all pretty invitations were prepared with the name Amplexus! I kinda felt proud of myself too.

Then this morning, my sister calls me up and asks "Are you sure Amplexus means welcome?"

I replied, "Sure it does, why?", meanwhile I opened the Google and searched for the actual meaning.

My sister said "Amplexus means the copulating act of the Frogs. What the F***!!"

I was embarrassed, so I confirmed, and indeed it said "Amplexus (Latin "embrace") is a form of pseudocopulation in which a male amphibian grasps a female with his front legs as part of the mating process."

Shhaayyy... poor freshers would almost have been classified as Frogs, had the event name been Amplexus!!

I blame it all on my education!! I should have taken Biology atleast until 12th :(

Now the event's name is Nexus!

Yes, I suggested this one again! And I am fearing a reprimand on this one too.. :P

God save me!!

10 comments:

  1. senior murty you should have referred junior murty to me :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes... I was too confident of my talent...therfore :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rofl....Thank God d invitation cards din get printed!!!! :p Yam tu bhi na.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. @nidhi: thnx :)

    @ships: arre cards ban chuke the.. :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha....they got the meaning just in time....Amplexus...now that is one word whose meaning..I won't forget very soon.. :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Kunal: I wudn't forget either :P
    Thanks for the comment :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The first thought after reading word "Amplexus" that came to me was "A sort of Solar-Plexus situated under the arm... basically an Arm-pit" shhesh.. that stinks... :P

    On the second thought even the actual meaning of Amplexus wouldn't have been bad for the event... On the contrary a perfect metaphor... and the reasoning is as follows... The first event with seniors (atleast in engg. college) is always a hunting ground for seniors to narrow down the search for their corresponding juniors... An official flag off for a social interaction event between "to be Engineers"... fondly referred by mango people as "Ragging"... So in a way every senior's thought for a fresher on that day is "Hey froggie... you gonna get fcuked up pretty bad starting today... till you metamorph..." (snicker);)

    Just reminds me how we had to learn "The Anthem" to be recited whenever a senior asked as to... and in the process we got introduced to whole new vocabulary of which we were oblivious till that day... :)

    You are a Genius Yam... You had suggested the perfect name... :D
    I am so proud of you... my salute to thee...

    ReplyDelete
  8. hahaa.. gd one ma'am..
    reminded me of coll... this was exactly we did for the fests..
    calling in all Greek and Roman gods,
    ws nice to read..

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Rohit: I am as proud of you as you are of me... How i wish u cud have been there to explain all this to my sis!! She wud have readily accepted that name for the event.. :D

    thnx for the comment!

    @rajan: see..that was the trick rajan!! u know it the best :D
    thnks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete

So..what do you think?

if there were no dreams

  if there were no dreams the permanence would slowly take over and the little escapes into the terrain of subconscious existence would deli...