Thursday, May 24, 2012

Right vs Wrong

I have been thinking about a lot of things lately. One of them being the concept of trusting people and sticking by what you feel is right. There are many times when we are proven wrong, most of the times by our parents and elders.
And as we grow older, we realise, that there are a few friends with whom we get along really really well and with some, we just don't gel.

I realised, two people may have the same taste, same thinking, but their behavior and beliefs may be totally different. What is right according to me, may be completely wrong according to my friend. The simplest example being, eating non-vegetarian food. If one does it, doesn't mean it is wrong, it only means, in my perspective, I do not "feel" it right to eat meat, whereas in someone else's perspective, destroying "plants and trees" would be a greater offense. No one is right or wrong, it's just the difference of perspective. 

There are so many fights which go unresolved, because we just fail to see the perspective of the other person. I was always in a continual pursuit to understand the concept of what is right and what is wrong. To speak of something which is morally and ethically wrong would be sex before marriage - for most of us. Well, the times have now changed, but I still do know people who believe and stick by it. I also know people who say, it's totally fine to take a plunge into the curious domains of exploring and living by instincts rather than doing what the society has defined as "Correct".

If we assume that we would be "punished" for the wrongs we do, then we should consider the occidental culture as a gateway to hell. But really is that so? If God or any Superior power were to decide our fate  depending on whether we've slept before marriage or not, then it would be so unfair. I don't think it's His business to do all that. He has given us enough power to decide what is right and what is wrong. But how do we do it? 

I considered a situation. If I was very poor, without any money to make my ends meet, and if my kid was starving, would I steal to feed my child? My answer was "Yes". I would steal! But isn't stealing wrong? 

If my heart says, that it's right, I would know it's right, no matter what the society, the police or the court thought. My heart is the perfect guide, and if says or guides me towards something, it can never be wrong.

So, it's really simple, you see. Just listen to that heart. And I know, I tried doing that too.,.. but that voice is lost somewhere, where it is busy judging who is right and who is wrong, it's busy passing judgements to other people. I do not find it to my rescue, when I am in a dilemma.

And how to get that voice back? I think I just need to sit back, for a while, know Myself, give it a chance to speak to me, and help me know what is indeed right, and what is wrong! And then, I wouldn't care what the world thinks! :)

4 comments:

  1. I concur with your thoughts.

    Infact I read almost a similar example that you've mentioned (about stealing food) while studying for ethics yesterday.

    Right and wrong is relative and not absolute. As long as you can go the bed and sleep without any guilt..you probably haven't done anything wrong.

    most of these right and wrong ethics are just carried over out of social and cultural obligations. Our ancestors had too much time it seems :p

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi yamini...its really a good piece of literature...if i have to put my point i would say its an individual's paradigm which directs its thought process...our experience in past and the future plans affects a lot to our ability to decide between right and wrong...if u ask me i would say there is no right and wrong in this world...its just some set of rules laid by our society to live by...as long as u r having the peace of mind thts the right thing to do...and the opposite one is wrong...

    ReplyDelete
  3. i really loved ds post :) listening to heart is da bst way to solve da biggset problms n issues ! u ve expressed it beautifuly :) god bless ya :) keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Sugar Cube: Right and Wrong, as you said, is relative and not absolute! And guilt is one thing, which surely describes the right and wrong for one particular individual! :) Lovely thoughts there! :)
    Thanks!



    @Samir: Past and future is what that decides our take on right and wrong. Ofcourse unless there is an experience, or a plan, one cannot really make a decision. Peace of mind, is the thing which usually determines what is right and wrong.. For eg. you cannot sleep guilt free after murdering an innocent!

    Thanks for the lovely comment :)



    @Palak: Thanks. Glad you could find it sensible!! :)

    ReplyDelete

So..what do you think?

if there were no dreams

  if there were no dreams the permanence would slowly take over and the little escapes into the terrain of subconscious existence would deli...