Thursday, August 18, 2011

I am Corrupt

I usually claim medical reimbursements from my office for which I need to produce medical bills. This time I forgot the medical bills in Nagpur and in order to claim my reimbursement, I thought what could be done.

So I went to the chemist close to my place and requested him, "Bhaiyya Rs.2500 ka ek bill bana dena" (Please  make a bill of Rs. 2500)

He replied, "Nahi madam".

I wondered why did he say no, he usually does it for other people.

"Arre bhaiyya, 5% le lena", I offered.

"Nahi madam", he again refused.

"Par pichhle hafte hi toh aapne mere saamne ek bhai sahab ko bill banake diya", I questioned him because he was doing someone else a favour and was refusing one to me.

"Nahi madam, abhi chhod diya", he replied.

"Kyu bhaiyya, 5% de rahi hu na main", I insisted on giving him 5% of the total amount of the bill.

"Nahi, bola na madam. Main Anna Hazare ke Paksh me hu", he said.

I felt like hitting my head with a broom, right then. I had not imagined in my weirdest of thoughts that this is actually what they call "corruption".

I felt very very bad and wondered, is it imbibed so deep? I was, rather I am a staunch supporter of Anti Corruption, but until now, I thought of it at a broader level. I thought only the politicians who had crores of Rupees in their bank accounts were corrupt and they should be penalised in order to bring about a difference.

I think, if I want to see the change, it should begin with me. I vowed to keep a check on my conscience. I am Corrupt and I don't like it, because giving a bribe is corruption too!

Aisa bhi hota hai, yaaron, aur ye bilkul theek nahi hai..  :(

11 comments:

  1. Beautifully told! If every citizen stops going strict legally , I think India is going to be ruling the world very soon... Hip hip hurray to the medical shop guy..

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Ashwini: Yes, Kudos to him. Taking bribe is bad, giving is worse!
    Thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow. I am so impressed with the change sweeping across the country!

    following your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is really a big change in the people's mindset....though i didn't noticed such change personally yet, but its certainly a good sign for a corruption free India.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kudos to the medical shop guy..you should buy him a Chocolate for what he did..It takes a lot of will to say a 'NO' to wrong. Loved this post totally, for the courage of the medical shop guy to stand by whats right..

    you are right we need to first change ourselves to change India...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I guess finally people would understand what "Moral" actually means and wont be curbed at every step in the word of "Practicality".

    Some say in todays world "Idealistic" approach does not work; well if you have right ideals then it wont be that difficult either.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We should be the change we want to see in the world. :)

    Kunal

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Raam Pyari: There is so much happening everywhere! This was just 1 example!
    Thanks for the comment :)

    @IRFANUDDIN: Absolutely, it is a good sign.
    Thanks for the Comment :)

    @Varu: I will surely give him a chocolate!
    Thanks for the comment :)

    @Rohit: It is difficult, but when everyone does it, it isn't difficult anymore!
    Thanks for the comment!:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. @kunnu: indeed!
    Thanks for the comment :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. self realization is what matters most !!

    ReplyDelete
  11. @the orchestra of life: Sure it does! but this is too ideal a situation and I experienced it!
    Thanks for the comment :)

    ReplyDelete

So..what do you think?

if there were no dreams

  if there were no dreams the permanence would slowly take over and the little escapes into the terrain of subconscious existence would deli...