Wednesday, October 13, 2010

The Fountainhead

One of the very interesting works that i have ever read is that of Ayn Rand - The fountainhead. I didn't quite agree with all that Ayn said when she wrote about her protaganist and his ideal ways. The philosophy of Plato which Ayn rand follows seems a bit too impossible for me. They are far from reality. I have had different opinions about the characters everytime i analysed them.
I happened to re-read a particular part of the book where Dominique is speaking to Roark.

"Roark, before I met you, I had always been afraid of seeing someone like you, because I knew that I’d also have to see what I saw on the witness stand and I’d have to do what I did in that courtroom. I hated doing it, because it was an insult to you to defend you–and it was an insult to myself that you had to be defended… Roark, I can accept anything, except what seems to be the easiest for most people: their halway, the almost, the just-about, the in-between. They have their justifications. I don’t know. I don’t care to inquire. I know that it is the one thing not given me to understand. When I think of what you are, I can’t accept any reality except a world of your kind. Or at least a world in which you have a fighting chance and a fight on your own terms. That does not exist. And I can’t live life torn between that which exists–and you. It would mean to struggle against things and men who don’t deserve to be your opponents. Your fight, using their methods–and that’s too horrible a desecration. It would mean doing for you what I did for Peter Keating: lie, flatter, evade, compromise, pander to every ineptitude–in order to beg of them a chance for you, beg them to let you live, to let you function, to beg them, Roark, not to laugh at them, but to tremble because they hold the power to hurt you. Am I too weak because I can’t do this? I don’t know which is the greater strength: to accept all this for you–or to love you so much that the rest is beyond acceptance. I don’t know. I love you too much.”

Roark has been impressive. But not enough to impress me. But while turning the pages of the book I spotted another quote :

 "To say I Love one must first know how to say ‘I’  "

I think I will re-read the book. There's a lot to explore. A lot of opinions to be changed. I think I already have a plan for weekend :)

Mr. Roark,

I shouldn't have resisted. You were correct.

Yours truly

No comments:

Post a Comment

So..what do you think?

if there were no dreams

  if there were no dreams the permanence would slowly take over and the little escapes into the terrain of subconscious existence would deli...