Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Gimme Pain

I happened to watch Rockstar yesterday and I thought how well the description of an artist was portrayed by Imtiaz Ali.

He himself is an artist and sure he wouldn't empathize more than what he has done through such a wonderful piece of screenplay and direction!

I won't talk about the movie here. But let me put a question, how many of us take pain voluntarily?

I found myself doing that a number of times. I would get hurt and then deal with the pain and feel good about it, because unless it hurt, I would never come up with creative pieces to write, or a wouldn't understand the nuances of life.

My writer's instinct (the minimal that I have) are usually triggered when an emotion stirs. Most of the times, it is pain.

Let me classify pain.

Pain is not as miniscule as disappoinment, or frustration or unhappiness. These emotions are borne by choice.You can be disappointed, or you cannot be, you can be frustrated, or you can be cheerful, you can be unhappy by choice, or you can be joyful.

There is no pain induced, as such, when you talk about these emotions or moods.

Pain probably comes when, you lose a loved one, when you realise that you want to do something, and find your self utterly helpless.

Pain is associated with distance, the necessity to see someone to be with someone when you need that person the most.

Not just lovers, but mothers, fathers, children they all face pain in some or the other way, when I talk about distances and urge to be with somebody.

A little boy in boarding school may be overtly happy, but feels the pain of being away from home (Taare Zameen Par), a mother may be helpless because she is not able to see her son while he works for the nation, in the army. Or talk about the pain of separation of two lovers, for that matter!

That's indeed pain!

What Rockstar put forth was that, in order to express effectively, an artist needs to go through that phase of pain, otherwise, he is never able to depict his art to the best of his ability.

And afterall we all are artists, in some way or the other. So if you want to be an artistic liver, just endure the pain that comes your way, instead of running away from it!

It helps us grow. There is really no point in not facing what hurts.

My favorite philosopher has quoted it beautifully

"Much of your pain is the bitter potion by which the physician within you heals your sick self"

I feel, we evolve as totally different persons, after we undergo a phase of pain, and the struggle followed by it to lift up our spirits.


That's why Rockstars are called Rockstars!! :)

How many of us can take pain, deal with it and evolve?

I can! Can you?

PS: Rockstar is a must watch!!

10 comments:

  1. Nicely written.

    -Sarang Y

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well written..
    So the lines of 3-Idiots song should be modified like this..

    Give me some shine, give me some PAIN,
    Give me another chance,
    I wanna grow up once again.. :-P

    - Sai Mahesh

    ReplyDelete
  3. Growing up through pain can be a bit dicey. Sometimes pain proves to be pretty addictive stuff. :)

    PS: was this, by any chance, inspired by "give me novocaine"?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rockstar, a must watch???
    Are you kidding me?

    Sloppy story line, sloppier dialogues and the sloppiest actress i have ever seen...Imtiaz Ali wasted a great opportunity.

    Of course it goes without saying what you wrote is great but please no metaphors from this movie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Sarang: Thank you :)

    @Sai Mahesh: Wow, that's some creativity! :)
    Thanks for the comment :)

    @naween: It shouldn't be dicey, you have to live through it that way! But sure, it is an addictive stuff. I won't deny that! :)

    And no, this wasn't an inspiration from "give me novocaine" :P

    Thanks for the comment :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @rohan: These days, powerful dialogues usually are not a fashion, like it was in Deewar, or Sholay. These days, movies have powerful emotions and sloppy dialogues, and I think you won't disagree that the emotions were beautifully portrayed.

    Also, movies these days are mostly based on vignettes, rather than actually stories which have a decent start and end, so definition wise, yes, there was no story, but technically i think screenplay was superb!

    Actress was pathetic, i agree hands down, but it wasn't her movie, it was ranbir's and he carried it off superbly!

    Rockstar is the finest example of new age cinema. The audeince is not spoon fed, or entertained only for the sake of being entertained. These days film makers, make the audience think! :)

    So I found rockstar to be a great great movie, technically. If you ask me about the entertainmen quotient, then probably, I get what you say! :)

    Thanks a ton for the comment :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good to know you can deal with pain and evolve(how you deal with pain can be the topic for your new post, which i will be eagerly waiting ;).

    Here is a quote from Buddhist text about pain i like;

    In life,
    Pain is inevitable,
    But suffering is optional.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Arun: I am no Preahcer here.. I sure face tough times dealing with pain, but I don't run away from it!

    So, I will surely share some of my experiences, but that would just be my approach, I won't say it's the correct one! Because you see, there is nothing right or wrong! :)

    Thanks for the comment:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. have been thru a lot of pain in Life and Loved it wat u hv written abt it...thnx....
    do u mind to follow back....

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Sandeep: Thanks for the comment :)
    Sure, would love to follow you back!

    ReplyDelete

So..what do you think?

if there were no dreams

  if there were no dreams the permanence would slowly take over and the little escapes into the terrain of subconscious existence would deli...