Thursday, January 13, 2011

Angrez ki Aulaad

Apparently there was some fest/seminar going on at the Symbiosis college campus in Hinjewadi.I reached Wakad square and waited  there for an auto.
An autowallah came by and started conversing with me in English.
Neither did I look like a foreigner nor was I wearing something extra ordinary so as to make an impression that I only spoke English.
He began.
"Madam, Where you go?"
I ignored him. I thought he was drunk.
"Shaam-bee-o-Shis?", he asked.
"What?", I bursted out into a chuckle and asked him to reiterate.
"Shaam-bee-o-shis college, you go?", he asked.
"Nahi, bhaiyaa", I replied.
"Then? Info-shis?", he asked.
"Mc D, Hinjewadi square", I replied, considering the option of boarding that auto.
"Sit Madam. 10 Busk", he replied.
"10 Busk??", I laughed and said to myself, "10 bucks. Great!", and got into the auto.
I wondered what was all this effort about. While I was having a hearty laugh, he broke again and said, "Very winter it is"
"Yes", I replied.
"Weather said, 3 degree it go tomorrow", he added and I realised he was trying to get into a conversation.
I was reluctant initially, but then I thought, this would be something really interesting.
"Aap ko thand nahi lagti, bhaiyya. Aap ne sweater nahi pehna", I asked him.
"No. Habit Madam. No winter, No Summer.", he replied.
"Yeh Symbiosis college me kuch hai kya?", I asked him.
"No Madam.", he said and gestured that he didn't know, finding no words to express.
"Aap English me hi baat karte ho kya?", I asked.
He laughed.
"Why, not good?", he asked.
"No, very good, very good", I replied.
"Passenger to Shaam-bi-o-Shis, daily comes to my Auto and talks Engliss. I shtart also. Eajy talk, lot passenger log, money get eajy.", he replied merrily, fluently and without a hint of the words he was speaking, let alone the grammar be.
"You want to learn English?", I asked, in English.
"No, Madam. I talk English. No learn. I know very much. Very much", he said confidently.
I still had no clue, why this fellow was speaking in English, where all the Autowallahs of Pune proudly conversed in Marathi.
"Bas yaha rok dena bhaiyya. Side me.", I said.
I have him a 20 Rs note.
"10 busk change?", he asked.
"No. Sorry", I said controlling my laughter.
"Why sorry, madam. Never sorry. Only Thank you", he said, realising that he had found a good listener in me.
He gave me coins in return and I left.
"Madam", he called out.
"Engliss, good no", he asked.
I showed him a thumbs up as he kicked his Auto and approached another passenger waving from the other side of the road.

I couldn't make sense of what happened. But it was one of the memorable auto rides for me. What the Britishers left behind, still prevails, to some extent.
The craze for emulating the west is still there..
aur usi chakkar me, kai baar, Aisa kuch bhi hota rehta hai :)

6 comments:

  1. English has become the official language of India. I think I can safely say its become the language of Global Business.

    He is smart and kudos to him if he is trying to learn it.

    Their indeed is no direct benefits to his business/career as rick driver but indirectly it can have good influence on his family, kids and society(locality) in which he lives.

    Encouraging and helping these people, who are willing, we can make others too in his community see the importance of learning such a Global language.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanx for the wonderful comment, Arun :) It was really overwhelming to see an autowallah speak english. To top it all he said he knew it pretty well, when I offered to share some tips :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thats his ignorance.

    Anyways the whole incident was quit hilarious and I had fun reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So Funny.... Want to have such ride.... but not for making fun of anyone but want to help someone a bit to learn this Global language... English is the official language of Ind too as our Parliament sessions also are in English and we have more English news channels than Hindi in our country. But i feel sad that even we prefer to speak in English at corporates meet/shopping malls/Pubs etc etc rather than Hindi... sala apan khud hi Hindi mein baat nahi karte... Even Blogs bhi toh English mein likhte hai.. :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is funny but I admire the grit of auto wallah for attempting to speak a language he is not conversant with.How many of us even try to speak a language of the state where we live or earn?

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Shubham: You get such rides on totally unexpected occasions.. I hope u have one and see for yourself what it feels like :)

    @S.R.Ayyangar: Very true. Takes a lot of guts to attempt a language like english with so much confidence :)

    ReplyDelete

So..what do you think?

if there were no dreams

  if there were no dreams the permanence would slowly take over and the little escapes into the terrain of subconscious existence would deli...